Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Golf at Coal Ridge!

Well I am adicted to the game of golf. It is one of my favorite past times so I will post some course reviews from time to time here, not that anyone reads this, but just to amuse myself I guess. So played this Sunday with Jamie, Shaun, and Lisa. We played at Coal Ridge (formerly Bogey Busters).

This course is golf at it's rawest form. It seems someone converted a farm into a golf course by just adding some greens and mowing the fairways a little shorter than other parts. $25 for 18 holes with cart, no tee times available. The course is short, but does have back tees that would make it a little longer.

The thing that really made this course different was the back 9. Front nine was a lot like Cassel Creek (Sportland), Southwind, etc. The back nine on the other hand had water on nearly every hole, well not always water, sometime swampy cattail hazardy things. 10-13 or so were surprising. It seemed you should not hit driver off the tee, fairways were fairly limited, and ended with hazards before the green. 2 of the holes seemed like you should hit 5 or 7 iron off the tee to keep it in play. Much different than the grip it and rip it front 9.

The other thing on the back that was odd is that there are NO par 5s. This is really a course killer to me, besides that there is no variety, the par 5s are the fun holes. The risk reward and chance for an eagle makes golf very interesting.

So 10-14 are all par 4s. 15 starts the oddness. We were playing the white tees, which is common for my group, I sometimes play the tips, probably less than 1/2 my rounds. 15 and 17 are both par 4s about 200 yds, no joke. Crazyness.

No comments: